Healthy Refried beans?
You might have seen my previous post on quick non-cook Mexican beans. Like I said in that post, we love Mexican in our house and if you are a big Mexican food lover like we are then I have a great little recipe you will want to try on your next Mexican night.
Refried beans sound and look as though they might be really unhealthy. Fried? Refried? Not only are we here to tell that refried beans aren’t actually as unhealthy as you think plus we’re going to give you a great recipe to make your own. Where possible making your own recipes rather than relying on shop bought food is always best. Many shop bought food items are filled with fillers, preservatives, chemicals and of course sugar and salt. You can make amazing alternatives, without all these additional ingredients that are no good for you, and we promise they will taste just as good, if not better!
Non Refried Mexican Beans
- Black Beans (230g)
- Almond Milk
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 Tsp of Paprika
- 1 Tsp of Cumin
- Add the black beans to a pan and cover with almond milk.
- Add the spices into the pan and mix.
- Put the pan on the hob at a medium heat. At this point you are looking to reduce to milk to nothing without burning the beans.
- Put a lid on the beans and leave them for 5 minutes.
- Check the beans and stir them. The mixture will be wet on the top and the beans will have started to break down to a mush. Continue this process until you are happy with the consistency and texture.
The goal of this dish is to have mushy beans that are just like refried beans but without all the salt that has been added to the shop bought variety.