Keto & Low Carb Bread
But Bread is off limits, isn’t it?
Yes, you would be right, standard bread is too high in carbohydrates if you are following a Ketogenic diet and it might be something you are choosing to avoid or having in moderation if you are following a low carb diet, but that doesn’t mean that you have to miss out on things like sandwiches, English Muffins or toast, because guess what? Help is here!
Do I need many ingredients and is it hard?
You do need a few specialised ingredients in and if you’re new to low carb or keto then they might not be something you have in your cupboards, but the good news is once you get them in stock it’s something you will always have, which makes this recipe super easy to whip up in just a few minutes. All you need is the ingredients and a microwave and it is that simple! Now, onto the ingredients and the recipe!
- 3 tbsp of Almond Flour (but finely ground almonds works a treat, is are much cheaper too).
- 1/2 tbsp of Coconut Flour.
- 1 tbsp of Grass fed butter (We use Kerrygold unsalted).
- 1 Egg (You can use the whole egg or just the egg white – with the yolk you’ll end up with bread more yellow in colour).
- A pinch of pink Himalayan salt.
- 1/2 tsp of gluten free baking powder (sometimes hard to find but this is always a good option).
- Melt butter in microwaveable mug for 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Let sit for a moment in the mug, to thicken.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Turn out onto a plate.
I then always like to slice my bread into small rounds and toast on a low heat setting or pop it under the grill.
This has the taste and texture of normal bread and is very low carb too, so it works with both a ketogenic and low carb diet.